All of the Lights & Encore
An Audio-Visual Interaction Platform for Live Music Events
This project was born and raised right here in our R&D Program. The idea was to create a unique audio-visual-mobile-social experience. With a major live music event in mind, we set out to build a platform that would let the audience participate in the show. One of our Senior Developers, Chris Ross, brought the concept to life.
Chris created a Captive Portal, which gives any event space the ability to control the LWAN, divvy out IPs, and offer up reactionary content through web sockets. Here are the prototypes and use-cases he came up with:
All of the Lights
- The audience appears on screen and is prompted to hold up cellphones
- The band controls the timing and colors of the lights with a master “controller”
- The audience cellphones change colors: some are green, some are blue, some red, etc.
- Finally all cellphones go red and then the lights behind the band go red and so on...
- “Social Engineering” will help keep the screens lit
- For the encore, the band selects a few options for the audience to vote on
- The audience votes by selecting the song they want to hear on their phones
- The vote tally updates in real-time on their phones and on venue screens
We tried out the concept at our CG Holiday Party last year. Instead of a light show, each person’s phone became part of the “snow globe” by having a unique flake pattern pushed to their phones. Our guests were also able to send greetings that would appear in the flurry of flakes.